Saturday, October 11, 2008

Running at O'Dark Thirty

I had to keep telling myself, "It's a good thing. You can do this. Running early in the morning will be good training/practice for Disney." And I do believe that.

This morning was my first group run -- or at least since running with my New Agent's Class at FBI Academy in Quantico during summer 1990! The group I joined, Gold Coast Runners, has a 1/2 Marathon Training Program. I joined Tuesday night; time trialed on the track with a 2 mile run at a 10:12 pace - and really had to push myself to do that. I was happy with the time; not happy with my performance vis-a-vis others in the club - I came in near the end of the pack.

But this morning - despite an auspicious beginning (I really did set my alarm clock for 5:00 a.m.; I just forgot to turn it on!) - I made it on time to the start and ran with the 4 leaders for the entire run. Everyone else who finished ahead of me on the track was *behind* me this morning. Guess it's true. I am built for endurance - not speed.

Don't think I'll ever really enjoy early morning running. But ... springing up out of bed at the very last minute, rushing to throw water on my face and swish toothpaste around, then throwing on running clothes I had religiously laid out last night ... well, it vividly reminded me of early SWAT missions.

Brian, my former partner, always used to tell us, "We leave at O'Dark Thirty." That's me, meeting in the dark to be with a bunch of other crazies -- FBI Agents or runners.

No comments: