Monday, January 19, 2009

Running Back from a Cold

Slowly re-surfacing.
Head still underwater; sinuses and nose still clogged with gunk.
Great finish for Disney.
But LOUSY since then.

COLD.
At the race. (Geez ... it was 46 degrees at 3:30am when I boarded the bus; 50 to 55 for the race!)

COLD.
Caught it Saturday night/Sunday morning at the hotel.
At least I didn't get sick until *after* the race.

Went to work late, but made it through Monday, so the ladies of Records could see I survived. Toughed it out on Tuesday.
Foggy in a meeting on Wednesday. So I came home.
Been bundled up in sweats, blankets, slippers since.
Gone through 3 bottles of Nyquil.
Setback yesterday because I went to neighbor's wedding on South Beach yesterday afternoon -- and it felt good to get out of the house while sipping wine -- but crashed about 9:00 last night.

So, what have I been doing all day today? Planning for my next race, of course!

Didn't realize how well I ran Disney until I checked on-line results of my two running pals at yesterday's Naples Half Marathon. My mentor and pacer (who I chased for 12 weeks and who runs a minute/mile pace faster than me) finished her Half only 2 minutes slower than my Disney finish! The wonderful doctor I ran with for my best time before Disney did not even finish the race.

You would have thought that my COLD would have been a clue for how much effort it took on my body to run Disney. But no, I had to compare myself with my running buddies. My heart goes out to both of them - I imagine their finishes were disappointing.

So, even though I have not run in more than a week -- Hey, cut me some slack here. Coaches tell you to take off from running one day for every mile you ran after finishing a marathon; so 13 days from Disney means I don't even have to start running again until Friday! -- I'm looking at running a 5 miler in downtown Ft. Lauderdale near the end of March; including, maybe, the annual COPS 3K run in Central Park in 3 weeks.

If I can ever breathe again.
If I can stop coughing.
If I can make it through a night without Nyquil.
The brain and spirit say RUN.
The body says, "You're insane."
Today, the body is still winning.
Let's see what happens on Friday.

No comments: