Friday, January 30, 2009

A Little Help From Your Friends


You know it: That line from "Field of Dreams?"
If they see it, they will come.

So if I put it in words and photos --
TODAY I WILL RUN --
Maybe I will actually do it. I hope these photos from Disney will inspire me.

Above, the FINISH. At right, I was running back down Main Street - about 7 miles into the race. A time when I was not feeling well either: only halfway through the race and "dying" - at least in my head. What was I thinking? Running a Half Marathon alone. Not a good idea. Never again. The only way to do something this hard is to do it with someone else, sharing the experience.

It's been one week since my last post - and I still don't feel well! Of course, I finally went back to work on Monday: I had to help Donna and Nancy with a huge PowerPoint presentation and records management training session for our Field Training Officers this week. It probably didn't help that I worked 9 and 10-hour days early during the week, and then had to babysit whining cops yesterday (a few of them really needed a slap across the face!). But Donna and Nancy, as I have said before, are not my "bosses" - they are my friends. We make such a good team when we work together: it's almost not work.

How do people do it when they are sick and alone? These past few weeks have been miserable: no energy to do anything except lay on the couch and sleep (not even much enthusiasm for watching TV.) And with Gianni sick the past week, too, our house has an aura of sickness and doom. Thank goodness Micio Bello finally seems better. Just what I wanted: a new cat. But he "hates" me because I've been catching him and giving him medicine the past 6 weeks. At least he has become Gianni's shadow.

Wait a minute. Friends. That's what I'm supposed to be writing about. OK. I'll do that tomorrow -- Alex, and Tracey, and Linda.
As usual, I'm off on a tangent. Since starting this post, I have: 1) gone to the doctor (again) with Gianni so he could get a work excuse note; 2) shopped at Target for a warm humidifier/vaporizer with Vicks inserts for our colds; 3) downloaded and edited my photos from Disney; and 4) fixed Gianni's computer errors. Am I any closer to getting out the door and running??? No.

Gotta do it. Gotta run. My FINISH certificate for more inspiration. I really did do good - especially the "85 of 363" in my Age Division place.
Not bad for an "older" lady.

Here I go. Here I am, gearing up.
Here I am: walking out the door with my iPod and Garmin.
Here I am, walking in the driveway.
Here I go. Really.
I AM GOING TO RUN. Soon.

No comments: