Sunday, June 22, 2008

Change Your Life

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

Wish I could claim credit for this quote, but I can't. I don't even know the identity of the guest who wrote this, but I read it in a "thank you book" aboard SUN DANCER II, the liveaboard dive boat I sailed on in the atolls of Belize earlier this month. Here I am, squared off fish-face to regulator-mouth, with a pretty little Grey Angelfish. My view of diving has changed dramatically ever since I started really looking at -- and counting -- fish.

I *will* credit ANDREW Donelson for the photos on this page. Andrew is a phenomenal photographer -- and one heck of a good diver! If you click on his name, you'll link directly to his website and see many other great underwater photos. (And some above water, too.)

Like me and my best dive buddy friend, Tracey, seated here in front of *my* Queen Angelfish painting in the boat's dining salon.

Looking at life from another perspective. That's what I've been making a conscientious effort to do. Kind of like this Yellowhead Jawfish, peeking out of the sandy bottoms of Belize at us bunch of crazy divers and photographers. Or running so slowly that I can hear birds cheeping at one another. And breathing so slowly in and out during my yoga asanas that I can actually feel the air moving through my nose hairs.

And diving so slowly that I can look into the inquisitive eyes of fish. Like this wary little Indigo Hamlet.


Or this Hawksbill Turtle.








But, best of all, is the unique perspective of a gaggle of giggling new girlfriends, sitting around after a great week of diving, bonding over margaritas and Belizean beers. (That's me, second from the left; Tracey beside me, of course!)
What a grand time! Thanks much, Andrew, for the photos and the fun.

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That painting is so vibrant. Did you happen to sneak it into your diving gear bags and bring it home? hehe

Jawfish just so happen to be my most favorite fish ever. When I go to the aquarium I always spend alot of time observing them and their amusing behavior.

I've never dived before, just snorkel, in Antigua. But you make diving sound like a magical zen-like place.
I enjoy reading your blog.

And that last picture is so special, with all those joyful happy friends together.....or is that because of the beer and margaritas....wish I had one right now! hehe