Thursday, November 29, 2007

Addictions Part II -- Multi-Tasking

Multi-tasking. Gianni hates it when I do it. But I simply can't do one thing at a time. Yoga asanas and meditation are about as close as I can get to being still. Yet, even then, my mind has a really hard time staying "in the moment."

This morning, for example. I was going to get up at 7:30, eat breakfast, go to yoga, and then off to the PD for more fun (??) with the police mapping/GIS system.

Instead, my PodAlarm didn't go off because I forgot to turn it on after my run last night. I overslept by an hour. Woke up and decided to go outside and pull down the Christmas lights to start think about decorating while eating breakfast. That resulted, of course, in trying to decide which wreaths/trees to put up and finding the lights; then examining them for missing/broken ones realizing everything needed freshening up. "Heck, I don't want to do this now. I need my breakfast."

SO ... let's cut down the bananas from the backyard tree so I can put them on my cereal. Right. The baby bananas are not ripe yet. BUT ... one of my bougainvillea trees is dead and needs to be dug up. It never really recovered from Hurricane Wilma damage, as you can see.

Of course, I have to be careful that I don't run into Ali Dasha, our local alligator, who loves to sun in the backyard. But he's not around. Just a bunch of egrets chomping down on the worms. So I start hacking away; cut down the bananas; trim off all the dead banana tree branches; then cut off all old bougainvillea limbs and dig out the roots.

Of course, now it's 10:30 and my yoga class has just started. I'm in the backyard full of sweat and dirt. And I still have not eaten breakfast. Multi-tasking. Sometimes it is NOT a good thing.

No comments: