Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Death, Destruction and No More Ds!

I've been killing ants for two weeks now. We returned from Cozumel only to find our house had been invaded by thousands of tiny black ants. Weird - they didn't like food on the counter (tomatoes, bananas, crumbs). They just loved climbing up the wall alongside our sink, hanging out around an electrical outlet, and crawling all across my marble counter while I was trying to read my morning newspaper, check my email, or blog.

We finally had to call in a professional exterminator two days ago. Now I'm cleaning up thousands of DEAD ants. They are everywhere in the house. But at least they're dead.

It's had me thinking a lot about Death these days. Lots of that going around this week. What's up with Hollywood? Two young actors have died in the past couple of days. Then there is Brit and LiLo -- certainly on their own path of Destruction these days.

When I went in to work yesterday, I learned that the husband of one of the ladies I work with had (finally) succumbed to the ravages of cancer and mercifully died. It horrifies me to think about Gianni dying - but at least we talk about it and have planned ahead for our ultimate demises. We signed up a long time ago for long-term care insurance so that neither of us will have to take care of each other when we're Drooling and in Diapers.

And let me tell you right here - no funerals for me! The very last thing I want is to be laid out in a casket in some room filled with thousands of flowers and memorabilia while people solemnly view my dead body and express what they think is appropriate to Gianni or whoever is still around to mourn me. No siree.

Let my wishes be known right here.
  1. Burn my body.
  2. Give my ashes to Tracey and Alex (somehow I know you guys will do this) in a little tin box.
  3. T and A [Aside: Oooh, I just realized how that looks; did you guys ever consider your joint initials might be considered obscene?]:
    • Please take me down on a reef somewhere in the open ocean (preferably Bequia).
    • Open the box and let me finally swim with the Angelfishes.
    • Tracey: Count every fish in the area.
    • Alex: Take photos.
  4. Back on land (with Gianni, if he's around), hoist a margarita, beer, or glass of red wine and remember all our fun times together.
Of course, all of this D and D has been aggravated by the fact that I sliced open my finger yesterday with a BIG knife while I was trying to remove a property tag from a laptop computer. Lots of blood - but not much pain. Made me question my own life (and stupidity!)

So, between the great Ant Destruction, Dental visits (the crown I had replaced last Friday was VERY painful!), and Death reminders -- well, I've decided to skip the rest of my theme "D" week. I need to move on to E - quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Us Obscene, why never!
---
I would be honored to dispose of your ashes - just one request:
That together we check out as many dives sites as possible before your ultimate demise.

the7msn said...

Tag, you're it. Go to my blog for the rules of the game.