Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Competency

I am working with two of the nicest women it has ever been my pleasure to know, Donna and Nancy. I say "working with," rather than "working for," because we are peers -- even though (technically) they are my supervisors: Donna in the Records Division, Nancy in the I/T Division.

Nancy and I have been commiserating about incompetency for the last several weeks. One of our co-workers has simply NOT been doing his job, and now I am tasked with trying to recreate computer property inventories from non-existent paper records, antiquated spreadsheets, and totally bizarre notes. I'm driving myself crazy in my anal retentiveness to locate and identify every piece of property we have acquired. And, of course, now I have to discretely contact internal affairs because some of the property is "missing."

What has Nancy really distressed -- and me totally p.o.'d about -- is the government (or lack thereof) in Haiti. Poor Nancy has been trying to deal with the Embassy there. What a nightmare! I love to travel, and especially love the Caribbean, but you'll never see Haiti on my list of "places to see."


On the other hand, I've been enjoying lively email chats with Bill Tewes, the model picture of competency, and owner of Dive St. Vincent about a possible dive vacation in May 2008 with Gianni and friends to St. Vincent, including a return trip to Bequia -- which is on my MUST SEE places.

Yet sometimes I get tired of being so stinking competent. I have the best intentions; I try to think of everyone when making my choices; I encourage others to be part of my decisions. And then I ultimately make the decisions anyway. Distress and Disappointment.

No comments: